Care guide to help you get the most from your saddle and pad.
We have compiled the following recommendations.
Care of leather saddles (excluding Nubuk)
After each ride:
- Use a soft brush (like a shoe polishing brush, so you don’t scratch the leather) to remove any dust or dirt from the saddle.
- Wipe the saddle down with a moist cloth or sponge
- Let the saddle dry naturally (avoiding direct sunlight) until dry.
- Use an appropriate leather cream to feed and protect leather.
Care of woollen pads
IT IS IMPORTANT TO REMOVE ALL PAD INSERTS PRIOR TO CLEANING (THE ACCESS POINT IS AT THE REAR WITH VELCRO FASTENINGS – PLEASE ENSURE THE VELCRO FASTENINGS ARE RE-SECURED AFTER REMOVAL OF INSERT)
- We recommend specialist Wool Wash shampoo for the woollen saddle pad. It cleans & softens the wool, without drying it out.
- The Merino Wool Pad and the Sympa Nova Pad should only be washed if absolutely necessary and preferably by hand.
- You may use a delicate/wool cycle in your washing machine with a specialist wool detergent, taking care not to wring or spin, but this is at your discretion and not widely recommended.
- The wool pad should then be dried in a horizontal position to drip dry in a well-ventilated spot avoiding direct sunlight. Do not tumble dry.
It is also recommended to vacuum the wool pad after every few rides to help keep the wool dust free and fluffy.
Care of Equitex Pads
- The microfibre outer material has an antibacterial surface and therefore does not require frequent washing.
- If the Pad gets wet, let it air (avoiding direct sunlight) until dry.
- If it has dirty spots, damp-wipe them off with clear water
- Equitex Pads should be dried off and any persistent grease and dirt brushed off with a stiff brush - this prolongs the life of your Pad. If you do need to wash your Pad, you can wash it in a washing machine. This should be on a 40°C gentle washing cycle using only a gentle detergent and no spinning at more than 400 rpm.
- Thorough rinsing is essential as detergents can affect your horse’s skin if not rinsed out properly.
- Do not dry your Equitex Pad in the tumble dryer or in direct sunlight.
Care of Girth
- If the girth is wet, let it air outside (avoiding direct sunlight) until dry.
- Use a brush for removing any dust or dirt from the girth.
- Please always ensure that the buckles are dry when the girth is put away.
- Leather girths should be regularly treated with an appropriate leather care product.
Should you have any questions regarding the care of your products, please do not hesitate to call us on 08450 725 765.